Thursday, 28 February 2019

The Dripping Pan - Lewes

Lewes - The Dripping Pan

Image result for lewes fc badge wiki

Lewes Football Club
The Dripping Pan
Mountfield Road
East Sussex


Lewes Football Club were formed in 1885. They were established in a meeting at the Royal Oak pub on 23rd September 1885. 11 years later, they were founder members of the East Sussex League. The club finished bottom of the league in 1898–99 and again the following season. The league was expanded to two divisions in 1899, with Lewes placed in the Senior Division, going on to finish last for a third consecutive season. After finishing bottom of the Senior Division again in 1900–01 without winning a match, the club left the league. They later joined the Mid-Sussex League, entering its Senior Division in 1905. The club were Senior Division runners-up in 1907–08 and again in 1909–10 before winning the league in 1910–11. After World War I they spent the 1919–20 season in the Brighton, Hove & District League. In 1920 they were founder members of the Sussex County League. The club were runners-up in 1924–25 and again in 1933–34 and 1958–59, also winning the League Cup in 1938–39. After finishing as runners-up in 1963–64, Lewes won the Sussex County League title the following season and moved up to Division Two of the Athenian League. They were Division Two champions in 1967–68, earning promotion to Division One. After a third-place finish in their first season in Division One, the club won the division the following season (on goal average) and were promoted to the Premier Division. In 1977 they transferred to Division Two of the Isthmian League, in which they finished as runners-up in 1979–80 to earn promotion to Division One. Lewes remained in Division One of the Isthmian League until being relegated to Division Two at the end of the 1990–91 season. The club reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in 2001 drawn at home to Stoke City, the match was moved to the Britannia Stadium with Stoke winning 2–0. The club finished the season by winning the Division Two title to secure promotion to Division One South. After winning the Division One South title in 2003–04, Lewes entered a series of play-offs for promotion to the newly formed Conference South; they defeated Yeading 1–0, Basingstoke Town 4–1 and Kingstonian 1–0 to earn a place in the new sixth tier division. In 2006–07 Lewes reached the first round of the FA Cup again, losing 4–1 at home to Darlington. The following season saw another first round appearance, ending in a 3–0 defeat at Mansfield Town. After winning the Conference South title at the end of the season, the club were promoted to the Conference National, having carried out works on the Dripping Pan. However, after winning the title, manager Steve King and all-but-one of the first team squad left the club. The following season saw them finish bottom of the Conference National, resulting in relegation back to the Conference South. In 2010–11 Lewes were relegated to the Premier Division of the Isthmian League, where they played until being relegated to Division One South at the end of the 2015–16 season. They were Division One South runners-up in 2017–18, earning promotion back to the Premier Division. In the same year they launched Equality FC, with the aim of paying their men's and women's teams (who play in the second tier of women's football) the same amounts.


Lewes 0-0 Tonbridge Angels
Wednesday 27th February 2019
Isthmian League

My next Groundhop visit would be another visit to Sussex, as previously 2 weeks ago was a visit to The Saffrons home of Eastbourne Town. (Blog here) Ticking off Lewes ground on a midweek via train was always a bit dodgy for me due to relying on specific trains hoping they wouldn't be cancelled, but after looking more into it, it turns out it would be fine. The start of the week would turn out to be great, Gillingham winning 1-0 on Saturday at Wycombe would turn into a superb day. Onto the day of the game in Sussex, I left home half an hour earlier than usual on a midweek, leaving home just after half 4. With changes at Tonbridge, St Leonards Warrior Square and Eastbourne, I would arrive at the ground 20 minutes just before kick off.

After taking photos of the ground, I would take to my spot behind the goal. Tonight although it was a Groundhop trip, I would still be following Tonbridge Angels due to them being fairly local to me, so I would be standing behind the goal where they were shooting at. The game kicked off, and it probably was safe to say once again it wasn't a classic game. Tonbridge I felt probably had slightly the better chances, especially the 1st half which saw Tonbridge's Joe Turner's shot saved to go out for a corner. The resulting corner with a good header from Sonny Miles into another good save. 2nd half was all much the same with Lewes getting a penalty which was saved by keeper Jonathan Henly. A poor penalty I thought but none the less a good save. Highlights of the game below from Lewes official YouTube page. After the game, I got straight onto the train which saw me get home shortly after midnight.


Lewes have been playing at The Dripping Pan since the club's formation in 1885. The ground holds 3,000 and was previously used by Lewes Priory Cricket Club. Lewes railway station is close by to the ground, no more than a 5 minute walk.


No comments:

Post a comment