Sunday, 28 May 2017

Home Park - Plymouth Argyle

Plymouth Argyle - Home Park

Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Home Park


  • Plymouth Argyle Football Club were formed in 1886 as Argyle Football Club. The club's 1st game was against Caxton a team from Cornwall, and The Pilgrims lost 2-0.
  • Later that week they formed, they did win their 1st game beating Dunheved College in Launceston, Cornwall 2-1.
  • The club adopted it's current name when they became fully professional in 1903 when the club joined the Southern League under the management at the time Bob Jack. Argyle's 1st professional game was in September that year beating West Ham United 2-0, the first goalscorer being Jack Peddie.
  • Their 1st home game as a professional club was against Northampton Town in front of a crowd of 4,438 which saw another 2-0 win for the Pilgrims.
  • The club are nicknamed The Pilgrims. This is taken from an English Religious Group that left Plymouth for the New World in the year 1620. More info can be find by clicking here.
  • Plymouth's 1st League Title win came in the 1904-05 season when the club won the Western Football League Champions.
  • Plymouth's furthest run they have got in the FA Cup was in the 2006-07 season, reaching the Quarter Finals. They got knocked out by Watford with Hameur Bouazza getting the winning goal, it finished 1-0.
  • Plymouth's main rivals are fellow Devon rivals Exeter City, also Torquay United as well. Other rivalries includes both Bristol City and Bristol Rovers, and also the Dockyard Derby with Portsmouth.
  • Notable people from Plymouth are Sir Francis Drake who was also the Mayor of Plymouth, Kate Nesbitt, Wrestler Laura James and Olympic Diver, Tom Daley.


Plymouth Argyle play at Home Park, and have played there since 1901. The ground opened in 1893, and was renovated in 2001. Home Park holds just over 16,000. Away supporters are housed in the Barn Park End which is behind the goal at Home Park. Also, Home Park is the most westerly and southerly ground in the whole of England. 


VISIT 1: Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Gillingham 3/3/12
VISIT 2: Plymouth Argyle 2-1 Gillingham 9/12/17


Plymouth Argyle 2-1 Gillingham
Saturday 9th December 2017
League One

At the start of the season, Plymouth was always going to be down for a re-visit. I had only visited Plymouth the once before back in 2012, when we won 1-0 at Home Park, a cracking strike by our left back Joe Martin at the time, then ended up getting sent off for a 2nd booking (I think) and literally holding on all game. So, a re-visit this season was always going to be on the cards, plus the blog massively did need updating. I was looking forward to a re-visit, only bit I wasn't looking forward to was the journey. I wasn't feeling 100% either due to having a massive cold, and my throat being an absolute killer, as it was much the same on Saturday. Anyway, Saturday came, and I woke up just after 6am, and left home just before 7. I arrived into London just before 8am, a quick Bakerloo line ride from Charing Cross to Paddington and arrived there shortly after. I met up with few of the lads at Paddington, Dom, Liam, Jim, Eddie and others. We all boarded the 8.54 train from Paddington, having quite a laugh and a bit of banter on the 3 and a half hour journey down from London. We arrived into Plymouth just before half 12, and went our separate ways for a short while. I went to have a quick look round the town whilst the others went to Wetherspoons in Plymouth. I wasn't majorly fussed on going to Spoons, I wasn't feeling 100% so thought I'd grab a bite to eat in town. Afterwards I made my way to the ground, did get a bit lost but after looking at Google Maps, I was on the right track and arrived to the ground at 2.15pm. Again, I wasn't feeling too optimistic heading into the game. We were struggling to pick up points against sides around us, and Plymouth started to pick up a bit of form themselves. Plymouth took the lead after 55 minutes from Joel Grant, awful defending from us. Luckily we equalised with 6 minutes to go from the man himself Tom Eaves, a terrific goal on the volley, as you can see my reaction after appearing on The Last Waltz Blog (below) but it was short lived. Again poor defending saw Plymouth nick a last minute winner from the former Peterborough United man Toumani Diagouraga getting the winner. Gutting. I left Plymouth just after 6pm, and having a snooze on the way back to London, with an hour delay due to signal problems, I eventually arrived home just after 12am. A long old day down in Devon, but a good day overall, especially with the lads on the train there and back.

Another appearance on The Last Waltz Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment