Chelsea Football Club
Chelsea Facebook Page
Chelsea Twitter Page
Chelsea Official Website
Last match I went to see: Chelsea 1-1 Norwich City, Wednesday 17th January 2018, FA Cup replay. (Chelsea win 5-3 on pens)
HISTORY/FACTS ABOUT THE BLUES:
- Chelsea were formed on the 10th March 1905. Since forming, they have been at their current ground Stamford Bridge ever since.
- Their first major success as a club came in 1955, when they won the League Championship.
- The club's major period of success have come in the last 2 decades, winning 21 trophies since the late 90's, which include Premier League titles, FA Cups, League Cups, and so on.
- They won the Champions League in 2012 after beating Bayern Munich on penalties. The winning penalty was scored by Didier Drogba. They are also the only London club to win the Champions League.
- After winning the 1st Division in 1955, they then won the League again but not until 2005, after a 2-0 win at Bolton Wanderers confirmed them as Champions. Chelsea won the title in the end on 95 points.
- Russian Billionaire, Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003 for £140 million.
- Rivalries include the West London derbies with QPR, Fulham and Brentford. Other rivalries include London rivalries such as Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. Also Chelsea have a rivalry with Leeds United since the 1960's.
VISIT 1: Chelsea 2-1 Gillingham (League Cup) 6/11/02
VISIT 2: Chelsea 1-1 Norwich City (FA Cup Replay) 17/1/18
Chelsea have been playing at Stamford Bridge since 1905 and has a capacity of 41,631. The nearest tube station to the ground is Fulham Broadway on the District line, although when I went for my 2nd visit, I got off at Earl's Court which is also on the District line, which is about a 20 minute walk. Also West Brompton on the overground line is about a 15 minute walk apparently.
2ND VISIT TO STAMFORD BRIDGE, CHELSEA V NORWICH CITY; FA CUP. A RE-VISIT WAY OVERDUE:
Chelsea 1-1 Norwich City
Wednesday 17th January 2018
FA Cup 3rd Round replay (Chelsea won 5-3 on pens)
It was only my 2nd visit to Chelsea. My 1st time being in 2002 for a League Cup game between Chelsea and Gillingham which ended in a 2-1 win for Chelsea, both goals coming from Carlton Cole. I did do a tour of Chelsea in 2014 I believe the year was when I did a re-visit to QPR with my mate Hawko, but that's the only pictures I've had of Chelsea in the times I've been. This game was a spur of a moment thing. After checking and checking to see if the game had been sold out, luckily it wasn't and I decided to get a ticket which cost £30. I was glad to have got a ticket, it was a ground which was way overdue for a re-visit. After leaving home at half 5, I arrived into Charing Cross for about half 6, only to find out the District line was part suspended which meant I couldn't get to Fulham Broadway station, the closest to the ground. So, after looking on Google Maps, I noticed Earl's Court was a 20 minute walk, and was on the District line which I could get to by tube, so opted to get off there and walk. I arrived at the ground about 7.20pm, only to hear on the tannoy that the game was delayed till 8pm due to public transport problems which I was delighted with in the end, so I could get a few pics outside the ground. The game itself was quite a frustrating one. I was hoping it wouldn't go into extra time as I was bit worried with the trains back, but of course it did go into extra time thanks to Norwich equalising with the last kick of the game after Michy Batshuayi put the Blues in front. So it went into extra time, and in the end I stayed till half time of extra time before making my way back to Fulham Broadway tube station, and then I arrived home just after midnight from West London. A short blog tonight, but a night I did enjoy, was a long overdue of a re-visit to Stamford Bridge and a great chance on getting some pics. A good ground to visit is Stamford Bridge, would recommend visiting if you get a chance on getting a ticket.