Tuesday 30 May 2017

Vetch Field - Swansea City

Swansea City - Vetch Field








HISTORY/FACTS ABOUT THE VETCH FIELD:

  • The Vetch Field was opened in 1912 and was home of Swansea City Football Club for 93 years until Swansea left The Vetch on the 11th May 2005 to the Brand New Liberty Stadium.
  • The biggest record attendance at The Vetch was 32,796 at home to Arsenal in 1968.
  • Before closure of The Vetch, it held 11,475. Now at The Liberty Stadium, that holds just over 21,000.
  • The Vetch hosted 18 Wales national games with their win percentage of 44%. The last national game was in 1988, a 2-2 World Cup qualifier against Finland.
  • It also hosted 6 Wales Rugby League games. They were against Papua New Guinea, France, England, New Zealand, Samoa and Ireland.
  • The lowest ever attendance at The Vetch was in 1976 in April, against Brentford.
  • In the 2002-03, Swansea just missed out on relegation to Non-League in the Conference but won their last game of the season at home to Hull City. The game ended 4-2 to The Swans.
  • Adrian Forbes is the last ever player to score a league goal at The Vetch in 2005, a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury Town. Andy Robinson scored the final ever goal in a 2-1 win against Wrexham.
  • Even though The Vetch closed in 2005, it wasn't demolished until 2011, you can still see parts of the old ground on Google Street View.















The pictures above aren't my pictures, just some I've selected on the Internet. Copyright to those who took them.




The Vetch Field - Atmopshere



The Vetch Field 2011.



Alan Tate & Leon Britton On BBC Sport Wales.



Alan Curtis Visits The Vetch For The Last Time.



Vetch Field Tribute.








MY VISIT:

My visit to The Vetch Field came in May 2017. Sadly I never went to The Vetch for a game, but I do love visiting old grounds so of course a visit to The Vetch was always going to be on the cards at some point. I was planning a re-visit to The Liberty Stadium now the home of Swansea City Football Club as I had been once but never got any pictures, so I was glad to have finally got some pictures. My blog on my visit to The Liberty Stadium can be found by clicking here. I spent half an hour looking round the The Vetch and it was sad to see it all demolished. Luckily there are some bits that exist, the old gates as you can see below are still in existence to this day. Anyway, here are my pictures I took of The Vetch in May 2017.


















No comments:

Post a Comment