Tuesday 10 October 2017

Imber Court - Metropolitan Police

Metropolitan Police FC - Imber Court

Metropolitan Police Football Club
Imber Court
Ember Lane
East Molesey


Metropolitan Police Football Club were formed in 1919. They played Friendlies until 1928, when they joined the Spartan League, a League they played in until 1960. The club then switched to the Metropolitan League in 1960 and then switched to the Southern League in 1971. The Club's 1st Trophy came in 1933, when they won the Surrey Senior Cup when they beat Dulwich Hamlet 2-1 in a crowd of 5,672 at the Original Wimbledon FC's Plough Lane ground. They won the trophy again in 2015, beating Merstham 2-0 at Woking's Kingfield Stadium, in front of a crowd of 370. The club have only won the London Senior Cup once, which was in 2010, beating AFC Wimbledon on penalties after the game finished 4-4. Met Police won the game on penalties 4-3. Met Police's best FA Cup run came in 2012-13 season, reaching the FA Cup 1st Round proper, losing to Crawley Town at home 2-1, with a crowd of 1,485. The club became Champions of the Isthmian League Division One South in 2011, winning promotion to the Isthmian League, winning the League bar goal difference to Bognor Regis Town, on 96 points from 42 games. Only a goal was separated between Met Police and Bognor Regis. While originally consisting of serving Police Officers, the rule was officially removed due to the Commissioner of the Met Police refusing to make time for the team. The team hasn't had a officer playing for the team since 2011, and the club are mixed now with semi-professional players. The club's ground is at Imber Court in East Molesey, based in Surrey just outside of London. Imber Court's capacity ground holds 3,000. 

The Bill drama programme which ran from 1984-2010, reminds me of Met Police.


VISIT 1: Metropolitan Police 2-0 Wingate & Finchley 10/10/17


Metropolitan Police 2-0 Wingate & Finchley
Tuesday 10th October 2017
Isthmian League

It was a choice between 4 games on the night. All Isthmian League games, Enfield Town v Burgiss Hill Town, Harlow Town v Dorking Wanderers, Tooting & Mitcham v Margate or of course, Met Police v Wingate & Finchley. I wasn't majorly fussed on what ground to go to as I hadn't been to either, but looking at pictures online of the grounds, I'd say the top 2 I wanted to go to was either Tooting or Met Police, so was fairly happy when my Twitter poll came out with Met Police finishing on top with 44% after 165 votes. So of course, I planned a bit how to get there and back, and was fairly straight forward. About 35 minutes from Waterloo and a 10 minute walk from Thames Ditton, so not too bad. I left home after 5pm and arrived into Waterloo around 5.50. A quick walk from Waterloo East to Waterloo and left Waterloo at 6.10 and arrived into Thames Ditton at 6.40.

Took a stroll to the ground and arrived to the ground just before 7pm. Walked round the ground and took some pics, then sat on the side of the pitch for the 1st half. I noticed 3 guys walking up in the block I was sitting in, only to recognise them but I can't put my finger on who it was, even now as I'm typing this! He reminds me of Bournemouth's Assistant Manager Steve Fletcher and former Bury boss Richie Barker but it was neither of them two. I did try to take a picture discreetly to try and find out but didn't work. Knowing my luck it will probably come to me at some point! Anyway onto the game, Met Police took the lead after 16 minutes from a good finish by the lad Calum Kealy, and then made it 2-0 12 minutes later from very poor defending by Wingate. 2nd half I decided to stand behind the goal and watch the game from there. Plus it was fairly near to the exit and wanted to get the train fairly quickly as possible after the whistle went. 2nd half there wasn't too much to report, only bit was a brawl which ended up 2 players get sent off, 1 for Met Police and the other for Wingate. I must admit, I saw the brawl but I didn't see anyone get sent off, I think it was because I was looking at my phone seeing how Gills were getting on at Phoenix Sports in the Kent Senior Cup haha! In the end, was nice to see Met Police win as I had them in my accumulator but didn't matter in the end anyway as I had Kettering to win away but they could only manage a 0-0 draw. So, anyway I left Thames Ditton just before 10pm and arrived home just before midnight in the end. Nice to see a couple of goals and also find out that Gills beat Phoenix Sports on penalties to then be drawn with old rivals Maidstone United in the next round. A good night overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment