Manchester City - Etihad Stadium
Manchester City Football Club
Manchester City Facebook Page
Manchester City Twitter Page
Manchester City Official Website
Last match I went to see:
HISTORY ABOUT MANCHESTER CITY:
- Manchester City were formed in 1880. They were known at the time as St Mark's (West Gordon). 14 years later they were re-named as Manchester City Football Club.
- The club first played at Hyde Road. It was built in 1887 and held around 40,000.
- A section of the ground at Hyde Road from then is still being used to this day, at The Shay which FC Halifax Town currently play at.
- The club left Hyde Road in 1923 and moved to Maine Road.
- The club moved to Maine Road in 1923 and played there for 80 years until 2003. The club's biggest capacity at Maine Road was over 84,000 but by the time they were in their final years at Maine Road, the ground's capacity at Maine Road was 35,150.
- Manchester City's last ever game at Maine Road was against Southampton in May 2003. The club lost 1-0 with Michael Svensson scoring the last ever goal at Maine Road.
- The club moved to the brand new City of Manchester Stadium in 2003. Built for the 2002 Commonwealth games, the ground has held the 2008 UEFA Cup Final, England International games, Rugby League matches and a Boxing World Title fight.
- Manchester City got promoted to the Premier League in the 1999-2000 season after winning on the final day of the season.
- Sergio Aguero is the well known man who scored the winning goal on the final day of the 2011-12 season after scoring an injury time winner against Queens Park Rangers to win 3-2 to seal the Premier League title, the 1st Premier League title in the Premier League era. At the time both City and their rivals Manchester United were tied on points.
- Manchester City are also known for their comeback in the 1998-99 Division 2 Play Off win against my team Gillingham. After going 2-0 down, they came back to 2-2 and then later won on penalties. To this day, sadly it still gets mentioned!
Sadly, I haven't visited The Etihad for a game yet but it is certainly on my plans to do so. I have been outside the ground which was back in 2014, before heading off to Oldham away with Gillingham. Here are a few pictures below.